World Waterfowl Forums

Go Back   World Waterfowl Forums > Fishing Forums > Saltwater Fishing Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-22-2008, 01:13 AM   #1
Ranger

Default Atlantic Cutlassfish?

On another forum I saw a question about "Atlantic Cuttlefish" and if they were good to eat. Turns out he was talking about "Atlantic Cutlassfish" which makes more sense.

They are sold for bait as "Ribbon Fish" and I have used them for kingfish many times. When you cut into one the meat looks good but I don't know anyone who has eaten one. Anyone got any info on this?
Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 02:04 AM   #2
AvianQuest

It's the Atlantic Cutlassfish (Trichiurus lepturus), locally called silver eel or ribbonfish, and mostly used for bait.

However, they are excellent eating with firm white flesh and are considered a delicacy in nearly every other county that borders saltwater and has a marketable population of the fish.

Most people in the U.S. wouldn't bother trying to fillet one because they are so thin, however you can get a lot of meat off a big one.

We used to fish for them, targeting large ones in the 45"+ range. Big ones like that will hit a mirrorlure or spoon like a freight train. They hit so hard that with the long teeth you will miss a lot of them, but with a mirrorlure you can see the teeth marks.

They will swim around like any fish, but when they move into in a feeding area, they will hover in place vertically tail down and wait until a bait fish or shrimp swims over it and then they strike so hard that it's not uncommon for one to rocket out of the water six feet in the air.

We had seen record class Cutlassfish come out of the water in this one area so we spent several wade fishing trips pursuing a world record and it paid off. We also caught some really nice speckled trout in the process.

I landed the world record and held on to it for some time and then it was broken by Oxbow. Oxbow still holds the Texas state record, but I noticed they they have it messed up on the state website. I need to send them an email on that.

I've got a photo around here somewhere, but in the meantime, here's a scan of my world record...

AvianQuest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 10:15 PM   #3
Tom Phillips*

Location: Santa Clara, California, USA - - R.I.P. - 1954-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvianQuest View Post

I landed the world record and held on to it for some time and then it was broken by Oxbow. Oxbow still holds the Texas state record, but I noticed they they have it messed up on the state website. I need to send them an email on that.

I've got a photo around here somewhere, but in the meantime, here's a scan of my world record...

That's cool.

I can't believe I'm just seeing this now. How did I miss it?

Congratulations to Oxbow.
Tom Phillips* is offline   Reply With Quote