World Waterfowl Forums

Go Back   World Waterfowl Forums > Other Hunting Forums > Hunting Dog Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2008, 03:03 AM   #1
'tween_fly_ways

Default Ok, a Warning and Hope thread

I had never given my dogs heartworm medicine. . . just never saw the need/effects. HOWEVER, when I put so much into Cav, I started him on HW preventative as soon as he was of age. For years I faithfully continued his medicine. . . until I was deployed to Iraq. Quite frankly, it was pretty low on my requirements list. I forgot to instruct my wife on his pills, and when I returned, I had forgotten all about it myself (never had put a dog on HW pills).

Well, about two months ago Cav was diagnosed with severe heartworms. I was shocked and embarrassed and felt. . . like kicking my own ass. It had only been 18 months since I had given him his pills, but I had forgotten.

To date, he has had the severe treatment for adult heartworms, and done quite well. I noticed nothing leading up to this except an early tiring with water retrieves--put it up to being "out of shape". His heart was, to quote the veterinarian, the size of a basketball. He survived the initial treatment, and is improving daily. This has cost me around $1000 to date, but has been worth it--he's improved and looks to be well on his way to a full recovery.

Just wanted to post this as a preventative for others who may have been lax in heartworm prevention.

'tween_fly_ways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 09:23 PM   #2
AvianQuest

That happens far too often. Hope your dog makes a full recovery.
AvianQuest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 09:34 PM   #3
ducksabuckin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'tween_fly_ways View Post
Good lookin dog there 'tween!!!!!!

I'm pulling for both of y'all!!!!!!
ducksabuckin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 01:07 PM   #4
Cray Stephenson

Good Looking dog.

Best wishes for a full recovery.

The odds of an untreated dog getting heartworms change depending on geographical location. In the last couple of years there have been several cases of treated dogs getting heartworm disease (known to be treated, given by a vet) at some of the training facilities in Arkansas and TN. Since the Heartworm Larvae (Microfilaria) are transferred from infected dog to healthy dog via an intermediate host (Mosquito in this case), it is more likely to be tranferred in areas with bad mosquito problems (not to say it can't be transferred in low concentration areas).

Here in our area of Florida, I've been told that 80% of the dogs who are left untreated for 3 months or longer will become infected.

Cray
Cray Stephenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 03:08 AM   #5
Alamosa

Sorry to hear that. Glad he is recovering. With a little luck he will still have a long productive life ahead.

My wife rescued a stray Aussie and found a home for it.
Later she learned that the dog had advanced heartworm.

She felt responsible and was able to raise nearly all of the money for treatment pretty quickly. We know a lot of generous dog lover's I guess.

The last we heard he was still doing well.
Alamosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 08:07 AM   #6
Fetch

Damn......... that's a heart breaker ........Beautiful Boy - Hope he has a full recovery
Fetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 01:04 AM   #7
'tween_fly_ways

Welcome Alamosa, and thanks all. I'd forgotten about this thread--should have posted an update.

Cav is doing outstanding. By summer he had his weight back to 95lbs, and his stamina back as well (NEVER lost his desire. . . it was incredibly difficult to keep him "inactive" as the vet suggested while under care). While I haven't been able to hunt much this year with our move into a new house, we have been a few times and he's as game as ever. I do get to take him to the river in my backyard, fortunately enough, so he does get good exercise.

He can be considered fully recovered, though his heart will always be enlarged. It turned out well for us and I just wanted others to beware the consequences of complacency.

Thanks again for the concern.
'tween_fly_ways is offline   Reply With Quote