World Waterfowl Forums

Go Back   World Waterfowl Forums > Africa Forums > Africa Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2008, 03:06 AM   #1
AvianQuest

Default Mozambique: Wild animals kill 133 people

Mozambique: Wild animals kill 133 people

MAPUTO -- Wild animals killed at least 133 people and seriously injured 50 in Mozambique last year, the agriculture ministry said Tuesday.

"This is a very high figure, but lower than the 144 of last year," departmental official Tomas Zimba told Agence France-Presse confirming that the figures were in a ministry report.

Zimba said crocodiles, elephants, lions and cheetahs had killed most people.

"Most of the attacks, about 60 percent, happened in the provinces of Tete, Zambezia (centre) and Cabo Delgado (north)," he said.

In October, the Mozambican government authorized the army to intervene to save the life of any person threatened by a wild animal.

And a campaign has been launched to collect crocodile eggs laid in the Zambezi River basin in a bid to control numbers. The eggs are given to South African breeders who export young crocodiles or sell their skins.

http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/breakin...-in-Mozambique
AvianQuest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 10:40 PM   #2
Tom Phillips*

Location: Santa Clara, California, USA - - R.I.P. - 1954-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvianQuest View Post
Mozambique: Wild animals kill 133 people

MAPUTO -- Wild animals killed at least 133 people and seriously injured 50 in Mozambique last year, the agriculture ministry said Tuesday.
Why yes, I do think that we should seriously consider re-introducing the grizzly bear to California. I think downtown Sacramento around the Capital should be the site of the first re-introduction.
Tom Phillips* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 10:42 PM   #3
Tom Phillips*

Location: Santa Clara, California, USA - - R.I.P. - 1954-2012

Come to think of it, were alligators endemic to the Washington D.C. area? If not, then how about malaria carrying mosquitos? I think they might be able to control one of our other "problem animals" in that area.
Tom Phillips* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 04:49 AM   #4
Delta G

With all the wolves being introduced into Idaho, Montana, Washington, etc. I do think it follows that the grizzly bear should be reintroduced into California. After all, the grizzly bear is the symbol on the California state flag--the California Bear is the grizzly bear. Maybe in some of the wooded areas on the west side of the Sierra's near Sacramento or just outside Los Angeles to begin with.
Delta G is offline   Reply With Quote