World Waterfowl Forums

Go Back   World Waterfowl Forums > United States Forums > Florida Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2008, 05:52 PM   #1
AvianQuest

Default Florida Man to head Wetlands American Trust

Vero Beach's John Childs Named President of Ducks Unlimited Wetlands Trust

John W. Childs, chairman and CEO, J.W. Childs & Associates, L.P. and Vero Beach, Fla., resident was named new Wetlands America Trust president at the 2008 DU Annual Convention in Baltimore, Md. Childs brings with him decades of experience as an executive and a passion for wetland conservation and waterfowl hunting.

“As any good executive would do, I looked for someone who would do the job better than I did,” said Jim Kennedy, former WAT president and chairman and CEO of Cox Enterprises Inc. “John is a guy who cut his teeth duck hunting on Back Bay in Virginia. He and I have become good friends and he is someone who will lead us very well.”

The Wetlands America Trust was formed in 1985 to support Ducks Unlimited’s mission by providing leadership in the protection of the natural balance of wetland ecosystems, ensuring the future viability of waterfowl and other wetland wildlife in the United States. The trust operates exclusively for the benefit of DU and complements DU’s domestic habitat programs in harmony with DU’s conservation priorities.

As WAT president, Childs will be responsible for leading the Wetlands For Tomorrow campaign to its successful completion. The “Wetlands for Tomorrow” campaign has already raised $1.2 billion for critical wetland habitat in North America and has set a goal for $1.7 billion.

Prior to founding J.W. Childs Associates in 1995, Childswas Senior Managing Director of the Thomas H. Lee Company which he joined in 1987. For 17 years prior to joining THL, Childs was with the Prudential Insurance Company of America where he held various executive positions in the investment area, ultimately serving as Senior Managing Director in charge of the Capital Markets Group.

He received a B.A. from Yale University and a M.B.A. from Columbia University.

“Jim Kennedy along with Don Young, [DU executive-vice president], inspired me to take this position,” Childs said after the announcement that he will be taking over as WAT president. “It’s a pleasure to be in this position, and I can’t tell you how much I look forward to working with the members of DU and WAT on our common objective, fueled by our common passion for the ducks of North America.”

With more than a million supporters, Ducks Unlimited is the world’s largest and most effective wetland and waterfowl conservation organization with almost 12 million acres conserved. The United States alone has lost more than half of its original wetlands − nature’s most productive ecosystem − and continues to lose more than 80,000 wetland acres each year.

http://www.tcpalm.com/news/2008/jun/...nt-ducks-unli/
AvianQuest is offline   Reply With Quote